Saturday, 19 March 2016

Gone Girl: Gillian Flynn


Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn


This was one of those cases in which i watched the film before reading the book. It is against my principles but i did it nevertheless. I wanted something light and a quick read. I had the same issues with the book as i did with the film. First of all it was glorification of abuse. The girl is a serial abuser and she needs treatment not a married life, not a baby she decided to make just to hold her husband to her. I don't understand why a picture of the servile wife was painted as Amy's concocted diary self. Later when Amy reveals herself to the readers we get to know that she is not that. Which is a good thing. A servile wife is not what a woman should be whether or not she is married. But soon we get to know that while despising 'cool girls' Amy has been given the role of a psychopath. What kind of a statement is that! I will quote the only portion which made sense to me over here.
Men always say that as the defining compliment, don't they? She's a cool girl. Being a cool girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she's hosting the world's biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don't mind, I'm the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they're fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl


I read this at a point of time when the campus where i am learning cinema had turned into a hub of these 'cool girls'. I hope they change. But the problem with the book is that it makes it look as if not being a cool girl is being a bitch, an abuser, a murderer. Seriously, a woman author has that to say about a woman who doesn't want to be 'cool'?

I don't remember the film too much. I watched more than a year ago, i think. Anyway i remember that when Amy fakes the rape it was all caught on camera. Now let me re-read what i just wrote. Yes. A woman is seen 'faking' a rape in a book, film. I will give some examples of things you can fake. You can fake faint. Fake death. Fake an orgasm. You cannot and should not fake a rape.

Why? When a woman comes out as a rape survivor (which i am too, incidentally) what she faces is hatred. Ridiculing. 'But they were in a relationship', 'they looked happy together', 'she is doing it to get attention'. The people who think that women are not as insane as they think they are to say that she got raped only to face this shit and the other shit that follows if she chooses to fight the case in court, are really very less in number. So no, right now, writing a piece of literature with a woman who decides to 'fake' rape by putting a bottle up her vagina (does the author know that that is another thing which constitutes rape, another person shoving things your vagina without consent?) and makes it sound very easy it is trvializing rape itself which is something nobody should do. That's what 'cool girls' do. And the author who seems to know all about cool girl psychology should have thought better.

Need to watch the film again now that the book is done. I found the book shitty yet witty. Liked the relationship between the boy and his sister, Go. She seemed to be a woman who made sense to me. Thank you very much.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment